Mrs. Spata’s Fourth Grade Blog

A window into our classroom!

Common Core Math

on September 11, 2013

Are you asking yourself….”What is going on with this vocabulary intense math program??”

Here is the short answer. (You will hear more about this at our Meet the Teacher Night from both Dr Leeds and myself.)

Smithtown has adopted the New York State Math Modules which align well with the new Common Core curriculum for K-8th grade. I know that it looks very different and that there is often an “easier” way to get to the answers. Please help  your child to follow the steps in their notebook and in their pink Practice Set books. These strategies will get studnets THINKING about math in a deeper and more meaningful way.

Stay open-minded! It will get easier as we adapt to the modules. Together we can do this!!!!

:O) Mrs. Spata

6 Responses to “Common Core Math”

1. Ann says:

All I have to say is “TEARS” and lots of tonight!!!! There shouldn’t be this much stress with 4th grade.

2. Kenny says:

It won’t let me see Monty! its just like the smart board at school. Help

3. sspata says:

Hi Kenny! Sorry about that. You may need to ask your parents to update your AdobeFlash. Try that 🙂

4. sspata says:

Ann- I agree that it is a big adjustment! Every grade-level is feeling the transition this year to Common Core. There should be no tears though. Let’s get through this together!

5. Nikki says:

math has been really really really tricky because my mom is really not sure what to do. We do use the notes. The notes do help a little bit.

6. sspata says:

Hi Nikki! It will get easier! Look at the new module#1 page I made. That should help your mom. Also, I will make tutorial videos soon! See you tomorrow. 🙂