Mrs. Spata’s Fourth Grade Blog

A window into our classroom!

New York State ELA Assessments

on April 16, 2012

We have reached the time in the year of our New York State ELA and Math assessments. I have spoken to your children about the importance of these assessments. Stressing that they should take them seriously, focus, and try their best…but not to stress out about them. They have been preparing all year for this and they are ready!! 🙂

I can not emphasize enough how important a good nights sleep and a breakfast filled with protein and carbohydrates (not sugars) will be to your son/daughter. Let’s set them up for success with the energy they need to do their best.

I will not be giving homework this week so that the children can rest their minds after the hard work they will do in class. However, that does not mean that they should not be independently (at home) working on any areas of weakness…particularly in their math skills and concepts.

Tomorrow is Book 1 of the ELA. It will contain 7 reading passages along with 37 multiple choice questions. It is very important that the students use the strategies that they have been fine-tuning all year. They should be using RHEP…which means that they should be looking over the questions, not the answers, before they begin to read a passage. If they choose the highlight…they should only highlight key words, not entire sentences.

I will write you each day to let you know about the following day’s assessment to help keep you informed.

:O) Mrs. Spata