Mrs. Spata’s Fourth Grade Blog

A window into our classroom!

Don’t be afraid of our new math strategies.

on November 12, 2008

Hi. Wednesday night’s math homework may seem a little “scary”. My students were told that they had to do the break-apart section of the page. This is a strategy that we have used before and that we should be getting pretty good at. The compatible numbers part of the homework is for extra credit.

Today was the first day that they were introduced to using the compatible numbers strategy for multiplication. We used a similar strategy in addition… and this is very similar until the last step. I explained to the class that this is just another “tool” to put into their math belt. I want everyone to try it out for now…. but there are many ways to solve math problems and they do not need to use this on the test if they don’t like it.

Everyone will find the strategies that they like the best and that work best for them. But I DO want everyone to give them all a try first before they decide they don’t like it.

We will continue to practice this and other strategies throughout this unit.

Thanks for your support. :o)Mrs. Spata

6 Responses to “Don’t be afraid of our new math strategies.”

1. sspata says:

The learning video on the EnVison site is very helpful if this is confussing. I don’t think that this strategy was taught to us when we were in school!

It’s never too late to learn something new. 🙂

2. SARA says:

Hi Mrs.Spata when I looked at the math on wednesday I thought it was hard to but we had our binder with us i think so??????? but that break apart strategie workes like crazy and the other stategie is also good. I do like all stategies i do have one thing what webcite is fling the teacher ???????? hope you had a nice day and tomorrow. See you tomorrow YOU ROCK Mrs.Spata bye

3. sspata says:

I am so happy that you didn’t give up and that the strategies are making sense to you. Now you have many “tools” to use to help solve math problems.

The Native American quiz game -“Fling the teacher” in at
    http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/games/fling/nativeamericans/

4. SARA says:

thank you for flinthe teacher i just played it i flog he’m twice and he loked ugly!!!!!!!! my mom was laughing!=] i do have one question for the expaned form how many digit can you have???????????? see you tomorrow can’t wait until the secert survice comes

5. sspata says:

Technically, you can use it for as many digits as you want. Each place value will have it’s own number… just like expanded form from the beginning of the year. (ie 200,000 + 30,000 + 5,000 + 600 + 80 + 9) The only difference is that each number will be listed up-and-down in a column instead of side-to-side like this.

6. SARA says:

thanks for the imformation=] :o) i really like it i flog the teacher 18 times.i know wow